This is my attempt at an actual way to upscale your wardrobe with things you already have in your closet.
It’s cute in the picture. I love Pyramid Collection. I own many of their dresses and jewelry pieces, however, this particular dress, STILL has me scratching my head.
(The first couple pictures are crappy I apologize!)
It’s great if I was pregnant! But sadly, my dressform is not expecting.
Your booty is literally hanging out of this dress. I don’t understand how something with SO MUCH fabric, can not cover the essentials. There is so much fabric in the dress, I really don’t understand where it all goes!
So then it came time to take everything down, but there apposes another problem. I had no idea where to start! There were pin tucks, pleats, bubble hems, french seams, and much more! It’s like when someone constructed this particular dress, they just threw all the scraps together and made it a “make it work” situation!
So I just started hacking away at it, and the more tucks undid, the more fabric just came spilling out!!
See what I mean?
And the weird part is, is that none of it seemed to be symmetrical. As hard as I tried to go along the seams, it was just impossible to keep everything tide. So as carefully as I could, I ended up just taking the entire bottom half off. This one was a doozy. Because once I took everything down, it was just opening a big can of worms.
Here’s the fabric all chopped off. See how it just does lay flat, or make any rhyme or reason?
I ended up looking through my bins of fabric that I’ve acquired over the years. Every DIY, crafter, seamstress or female has fabric laying around. That’s what I dug into. I ended up finding a pretty neat blue cotton blend that I got on sale at Fabrics.com. It looks like I got about 3 yards of it and it looked like it would hang well, so I went for it.
Then I dug through my pattern box to find a nice high waisted skirt pattern. I tend to be more partial to the older patterns. They just seem to fit better on me. I think it’s my child birthing hips.
And it’s almost like it was meant to be!
I started to pin the skirt to the top and decided it needed a little extra. The blue and the print where too extreme for my taste.
So I decided to make a peplum to the the median between the two. I made it out of the left over fabric from the skirt. Because lets face it, there was plenty.
So now at this point I wanted to try it on.
Overall, there are some things I need to fix, like there is some slight puckering at the center front where the lining meets the center. And the peplum is a little wonky.
I still have some things planned for this dress, but it’s a good start. I ordered some dye and lace to compliment things so we will see how it goes. I’m thinking of taking the lining out all together. But we will see.
Thanks for reading! Stay tuned for part 2!