Posted on

Sherlock Coat: Final Fitting and Some Sewing

I apologize again about the delay. We are having horrible weather up here in the Pacific Northwest and there has been a ton of power outages as well as the internet being on and off because of it. Needless to say, it’s been a dozy.

It was nice to play in the dark though. You get all campy 🙂 Twas nice.

So, onto the coat!

I’ve done quite a lot since I’ve last posted that I will probably have to split this into two parts. The more you do on a rainy day 🙂

Anyways, first I will start off with some pictures of the shell sewn up and fitted on Cody.

Sherlock Coat Fitting front view

Sherlock Coat Back View Fitting

Now, this was extremely long. Way too long than what I had planned. But that’s ok because I’d rather cut away fabric anyways. So I started by trimming that up. But overall, it wasn’t too bad.

Sherlock Coat Fitting taking up side seam

I had to take in the back seem a bit but overall, I was happy. So then I trimmed the bottom and marked the hem and it looked something like this.

Sherlock Coat Fitting front placement

Much better.

After trimming everything up it was time to work on the sleeves.

I know that Cody likes his sleeves a little on the long side so I tried to abide by that. With thick jacket sleeves however, a lot of under structure is involves including a sleeve heading and support. I chose to add a layer of fleece at the top of each sleeve to give it a little help. Like so.

Sherlock Coat Sleeve header

And then I added some interfacing to the bottom of each sleeve to give support.

Sherlock Coat sleeve interfacing at cuff

And then I switched my machine to 5 to extend the stitch length and basted around the top of each sleeve.

Sherlock Coat Sleeve Tailoring

You have to add at least 1.5 inches of ease into the cap of a sleeve in jackets. Ease helps you have a lot more range of motion and gives the wearer a cozy feeling 🙂 So by basting and inching the sleeve where you want it to go, it makes everything a lot easier.

Next I worked on the color. Attaching collars to facings, is tricky. First of all, everything is backwards because it goes in the INSIDE of the coat. So when you are stitching this up, you kind of want to psyche yourself out a bit. Secondly, this pattern did not have a back facing o.o I know, it’s weird. I am so used to back facings I spent 20 minutes going through everything trying to find it. But alas, not back facing. So that tripped me up as well.

Collar

Stitch the facing to the collar, and the collar stand next.

Sherlock Coat Collar Attachement

Make sure to have plenty of support there as well. Inferfacing and the like.

Next you lay the facing onto the shell after to stitch that collar on and pin. Pins LOTS!! You’ll wind up with something like this.

Sherlock Coat Lapel close  up

Two sharp points. And I chose to top stitch over everything nice and tightly!

Alrighty folks. I’ll stop there for now. I’ll be sure to post about pockets and all the finishings in the next post 🙂 Until then! Thanks for reading! Please leave feedback on what you liked and didn’t like and what would be more helpful 🙂

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *